Monday, February 8, 2010

The Magic of Daily Writing

Spring Magic, Study for Collage, In Progress, by Ruth Zachary.

Writing as a Daily Practice



The Greeley Poetry Club is fortunate to have Mary Lauck, an English teacher, who provides the writing exercises every month. The December lesson suggested writing small selections every day, whether as a journal entry or a poem. I have followed such practice at other times in my life, and it took about one week to realize the positive effect it had on my writing, after starting it up again.


The lesson for January was to try to take up different writers of poetry, and to read until we found a line that stimulated an idea we would like to explore. The metaphor was that our chosen author would drop a thread for us to follow, and for us to go where it led us. This seemed like a relevant extension of a daily practice. Never have we as a whole group written so many inspiring poems!


Part of this kind of practice taps into the unconscious, or takes us to the intuitive level in our writing, especially if written by hand in cursive script. It works. It can even release some people from writers block.


Recommended Books



I took up three different books I have used before. These books all offer daily suggestions for writing topics. I recommend them! They are:

Simple Abundance, a Daybook of Comfort and Joy, by Sarah Ban Breathnach.

The Artist’s Way, A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity, by Julia Cameron.

A Writer’s Book of Days by Judy Reeves.


These books also discuss a variety of issues artists or writers encounter on their own Creative Path, and offer solutions to problems that occur. All three books are extremely useful in discarding negative internal messages in our heads which condition us in ways that make us less productive than we might be without them.


I believe the process of daily writing functions to recondition a writer’s thinking both in removing negative messages, but also in opening easy access to one’s own natural creative power.


A third possibility is also that magic is afoot. Gratitude changes everything. The things we focus upon are what we manifest in our lives. This extends beyond the act of writing, and the process of creating objects. Amazing coincidences have repeatedly shown up in other areas of life, things I have hoped for, within days or hours of visualizing them. Wouldn’t it be irrational to discount something so amazing? I think it might even be ungrateful.


But if you want to be more “rational”, try Positive Visualization and record the results. And if you want only practical ideas for career building, I have found they abound on the Internet, and much of this information is free. I am happy to learn from these options as well, but why not avail yourself of ALL the Universe has to offer?


I Think I’m Back on Line Again!



It has been a while since I posted my blogs regularly. As I mentioned in September, I have had problems with my eyesight. I belong to two writing groups and two art groups. I fell back a little on the meetings, because driving at night was too difficult. But now I am getting back into the swing of normal living, and attending the writing groups is part of that.

And I am happy to say, in the months I was less functional, I never stopped creating, either my writing or my visual art, because those forms of expression are what I live for.



All writing and images are the exclusive Copyright © of Ruth Zachary.


No comments:

Post a Comment